Pitches showcasing a theft tracking GPS system and electrical vehicle charging and energy storage systems headline the new Dorset Business Angels Virtual Pitch event
Dorset Business Angels (DBA) April pitch event has been relaunched as a virtual pitch platform which will enable 5 businesses the opportunity to continue to seek investment from the business angels.
Investor pitches include:
- An energy storage systems and electric vehicle charging business which aims to produce the first ‘demonstrator’ and become one of the major five energy suppliers in the UK
- An award- winning business that has developed a ‘Passive Ventilation with Heat Recovery’ system which has been installed by major UK building companies in over 800 domestic and 200 commercial properties.
- A company offering a SMART solution for protecting any electrical device that can be connected to a standard mains power source. GPS tracking is now commonplace for cars, lorries and large items of plant, but can incur high monthly rental charges. There is no comparable ‘middle-market’ product for smaller items of plant costing from £500 upwards. Caravans, of which over 4000 are stolen annually in the UK, can also be protected with the system. The Company’s tracker device is built into the power supply cable and can therefore be used on any electrical equipment using a standard 110V/240 volt UK supply.
- A start-up that has produced Europe’s first Prebiotioc Sparkling Soft Drinks is now seeking to gear up for a launch into the UK market with an ambition to establish the brand in a small number of well-known independent stores.
- A business producing nutritional breakfast drinks with an emphasis being on convenience rather than nutrition. The company’s products address this imbalance by blending wholegrain cereals to produce a delicious range of nutritional breakfast drinks.
DBA Chairman Don McQueen said, “Despite the current Coronavirus pandemic and the extremely challenging times that we are experiencing, we have decided to carry on with our pitch event. We had initially considered cancelling the quarterly pitches but it became very evident that the businesses involved were very keen for it to continue.
“The 5 pitching businesses will upload 3- minute video presentations to a DBA Members’ hub online platform. An online Zoom seminar will subsequently follow to allow investors to connect with the pitching businesses, pose questions and register interest to go through the due diligence process with a business.
“The DBA investors and our partners feel that it is our duty in the current climate to reach out to businesses, help out with funding, provide inspiration, mentoring and much needed enthusiasm and commitment.”
Ian Girling, CEO of Dorset Chamber of Commerce commented, “We all need to think differently about how we do business in these times, it’s essential to keep the wheels of businesses moving forward. Investment is needed more than ever and I commend the commitment of Dorset Business Angels to the business community and seeking to carry on with their investments but via a changed platform.”
Jamie Lane and Roger Wareham, both Partners at event sponsors Saffery Champness Accountants advised, “Safferys are really pleased that this event is continuing and the innovative ways being found to ensure that entrepreneurs can still access funding and pursue potential growth during this challenging time.”
DBA was formed in 2013 with the aim to bring investors and entrepreneurs together to accelerate the growth of early stage businesses. DBA provides quality, private equity investment opportunities to local high net worth (HNW) and sophisticated investors (SI).
Four times a year companies are invited to attend an event at which they pitch their business to the savvy Angels in a Dragon’s Den type scenario. Angel investment might come from a single investor or it could be 2 or 3 Angels pooling funds together to support a company. Any investments are in the form of an equity investment and not a debtor’s loan. Investments are made across all sectors.
DBA is sponsored by Saffery Champness Accountants, Ellis Jones Solicitors and Investec Wealth and Investment
To find out more about Dorset Business Angels visit www.dorsetbusinessangels.co.uk.